About Chris Birch
Positive, experienced and engaged leadership for South Anchorage
Chris Birch and his family have been in Alaska since the 1950's. He and his wife, Pam, have been married since 1978 and have two grown children and four grandchildren born and raised in Alaska.
In 1944, Chris's dad, Frank, came to Adak with the US Marine Corps. After the war, he returned to Alaska with his wife, Bettijeanne. Frank worked as a mining engineer and Bettijeanne as a geologist, camp cook and bookkeeper in placer and hard-rock mines around the Territory, then State. When the couple was expecting their first child, Chris, they were employed at the Independence Mine at Hatcher Pass. Chris and his sisters grew up in camps near Fairbanks and in the Brooks Range.
Chris earned a Bachelor's degree in Mining Engineering from the University of Alaska in Fairbanks in 1972, as well as a Master of Science degree in Engineering Management in 1979. He has been a licensed professional engineer in Alaska since 1978. Since moving to Anchorage with Alyeska Pipeline Service Company in 1991, Chris worked in engineering, business development or management capacities with Alyeska Pipeline, Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport and NANA Development Corporation prior to retirement.
My parents taught by example the values of family, hard work and responsibility." Chris Birch
Chris was elected to the Board of Directors by Chugach Electric Association ratepayers in 1997, 2000 and 2003, where he effectively supported member approval of free and open competitive bidding, transparency through member access to information and reduced potential for conflicts of interest. He also served as a member and President of the Mid-Hillside Community Council, the non-profit Hilltop Ski Area and the Valli Vue Homeowner Association. Chris is a member of the Anchorage Chamber of Commerce, the Resource Development Council, the Consumer Energy Alliance - AK, the Alaska Miner's Association and Anchorage East Rotary. Chris was elected to the Fairbanks North Star Borough Assembly in 1984 and 1987, serving twice as Presiding Officer.
In 2005, 2008 and 2011 Chris was elected to three-year terms on the Anchorage Assembly. While on the Assembly, Chris chaired the Audit Committee, Legislative Affairs, and Reapportionment as well as the Assembly liaison to the Anchorage Area Transportation Study (AMATS), the Anchorage Chamber of Commerce and the Anchorage Economic Development Authority.
In 2016 Chris was elected to a two-year term in the Alaska State House of Representatives representing South Anchorage House District 26. Chris serves as a member of the House Resources, State Affairs and the Labor and Commerce committees as well as Co-chair of the Anchorage Caucus. First year accomplishments include proposing over $200 million in budget reductions; supporting the State Senate in stopping an income tax on working Alaskans; eliminating the cashable oil tax credit program; and enabling transportation network companies like Lyft and Uber to operate in Alaska.
- Alaska Chamber, Member Alaska
- Alaska Miners Association, Former Board Member
- Anchorage East Rotary, Former Board Member
- Anchorage Municipal Assembly, 2005-2014
- Chugach Electric Association Board, 1996-2005, Past President
- Consumer Energy Alliance - AK, Member
- Hilltop Ski Area Board, 1993-2005, Past President
- Mid-Hillside Community Council, 1992-2005, Past President
- Resource Development Council, Member
- Support Industry Alliance, Member
- Valli Vue Homeowner's Association Board, 1991-2005, Past President
- BLM Northern Alaska Land Use Advisory Council, Chair (1990), Appointed by Senator Stevens
- Citizens Coalition for Tort Reform, 1988, Initiative Sponsor
- Fairbanks Borough Assembly, Elected 1984 and 1987, Presiding Officer 1986 and 1988
- Fairbanks Chamber of Commerce, Former Board Member
- Viewpoints Road Service Area, 1981-1984, Commission Chairman
- 2016 - Present, Alaska House of Representatives - South Anchorage House District 26
- 2011 - Present, Consulting Engineer
- 2005-2014 Anchorage Municipal Assembly, South Anchorage, Section 6 Representative
- 2007-2011 NANA Development Corporation, Vice President for Business Development
- 2005-2007 WH Pacific, Senior VP, Principal-in-Charge
- 2004-2005 Tryck Nyman Hayes Engineering, Senior Engineer
- 1998-2004 Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport, Director of Engineering, Planning, Facilities and Environment
- 1993-1998 Transportation & Public Facilities (DOT&PF), Engineer/Projects Manager
- 1991-1993 Alyeska Pipeline Service Company, Anchorage, Senior Planning/Budget/Projects
- 1987-1991 Fairbanks International Airport, Manager
- 1974-1987 Alaska Highway Department/DOT&PF, Fairbanks, Geologist, Engineer, Manager
- 1972-1974 R&M Engineering, Fairbanks, Junior Engineer
- 1968-1972 Chandalar Gold Mining & Milling, Chandalar Lake, Summers, Operator
- 1968-1969 Colorado Oil & Gas/Jim Dalton, Sagwon/North Slope, Equipment Operator
- 1966-1971 Tobin Creek Placer Mine, Tobin Creek/Brooks Range, Summers, Driller/Operator
- 1968-1979 University of Alaska, Fairbanks
- M.S., Engineering Management, 1979
- Licensed Alaska Civil Engineer, 1978
- B.S., Mining Engineering, 1972